Monday, January 27, 2014

Who knew raw chocolate was so easy to make?!

On Friday night, as I waited to collect Mountain Man from the train station, I had some time to kill so decided to try my hand at making raw chocolates.  I have never made them before, but always planned to.

I'm told that the bag of very expensive raw cacao butter in the baking cupboard has been there for 2 years.  I made lip balm, once...and then just kept meaning to make chocolate.  Another nutritional therapist friend of mine beat me to it last week and made her own, posting the recipe on facebook and inspiring me to give it a go (when I saw how simple it was).  So, I made some chocolates.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

If you're wondering why you'd bother making chocolate, when there are plenty of options in the shops, home made raw chocolate is different.  For a start, there's no soya or milk powder or other weird fillers in chocolate you make yourself (why is soya used in chocolate?)  Secondly, you can put whatever you want into them and have fun experimenting.  Thirdly, raw cacao is super rich in health giving nutrients as it has not been heated to the point where nutrients are damaged.  So those promises of chocolate being full of mood boosting chemicals, antioxidants, healthy fats and minerals are true, but more true with raw chocolate than the highly processed varieties we tend to see in the shops.

I have no doubt that what I made was pretty basic and master chocolatiers would laugh at my efforts, there are all sorts of clever things you can do to make it even more impressive.  However, as a first attempt, I'm pretty chuffed and they taste mighty fine if I do say so myself!

Ingredients:
60g raw cacao butter
60g raw cacao powder
40g coconut sugar, milled to a fine powder in a nut or coffee mill

Filling - I used
2 dsp pumpkin seeds, toasted and milled
3 dsp Super Life breakfast topping, also milled

To make:
Melt cacao butter in a glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't sit in the water)
Once melted, add in the cacao powder & sugar
Mix thoroughly, then add whatever filling you fancy and keep mixing until it's smooth and gorgeous
Pour the mix into silicone sweet/chocolate moulds, or as I did onto a baking sheet (because I completely underestimated how many moulds I'd need)
Put the moulds into the fridge and ignore for at least an hour
Eat and rejoice at how good raw chocolate tastes.  YUM!








No comments:

Post a Comment